Applications are invited for the International Astronomical Union, IAU Astronomy in Africa Scholarships 2022-2023. The International Astronomical Union (IAU) will host its 32nd General Assembly in Cape Town, South Africa, in 2024 (GA2024). This is the first time in the 100+ year history of the IAU that the General Assembly will be held in Africa, which provides a prime opportunity to showcase the cutting-edge research infrastructure and excellent talent in the science area on the continent.
In anticipation of the 32nd General Assembly, the National Organising Committee of the IAU GA2024 seeks to award high impact “Astronomy in Africa” scholarships to eligible African candidates that aligns with the hosting of this historical event. The scholarships will allow excellent candidates to undertake a two-year Master of Science (MSc) degree in South Africa starting in 2023.
related: Call for Nomination: Glocal Teen Hero India 2022
About the IAU Astronomy in Africa Scholarships.
The Africa 2024 scholarships will cover international student fees, one international return flight, visa costs, medical insurance, accommodation, and stipend.
In addition, scholarship recipients will benefit from the opportunity to volunteer at the General Assembly 2024, giving them an opportunity to interact with the global astronomy community.
- Candidates from any African country are eligible to apply for Astronomy in Africa scholarships.
- Applicants must be eligible to register for an MSc degree at a South African university specialising in astrophysics/astronomy.
- Candidates must have liaised with potential supervisors from recognised South African universities.
- Potential supervisors must provide an accompanying letter of support for the candidate, which includes a brief statement of the proposed research project.
- Shortlisting will take place through the Science sub-committee of the GA2024 NOC, along with external reviewers.
- Applicants will be shortlisted based on academic grades, quality of motivation, suitability for research as assessed through reference letter and CV, and the associated letter of support from the potential supervisor. Diversity and regional representation will be taken into account during the shortlisting process. Preference will be given to non South African applicants.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a virtual interview during 24 October to 4 November 2022.
- Successful candidates (and supervisors) will be notified during the week of 7-11 November 2022.
RECOMMENDED: UNILAG Design Studio RICE360 Summer Internship Program 2022
How to Apply for Fully Funded IAU Astronomy in Africa Scholarships 2022-2023.
- Apply online here
- Arrange to have one reference letter to be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org, by the application deadline, and with your name in the subject line.
- Candidates must submit a motivation and upload a CV (maximum of 2-pages, 12-pt font), recent academic transcripts and a scan of their undergraduate degree certificate.
- Candidates must upload a letter of support from their potential supervisor. The letter must include a brief statement of the proposed research project.
Deadline: October 7, 2022